City of Brandon





Welcome to Brandon, MN

The village of Brandon was incorporated on November 22, 1881. The current town site was laid out when the railroad was being built in August 1879. This location is actually two miles south of the original settlement which during its short history was known as Chippewa, Chippewa Station, Fort Chippewa, Chippewa City and Chippewa Lake City. Brandon was named in 1868 for Brandon, Vermont, the birthplace of Stephen A. Douglas for whom Douglas County was named.

The original town hall was built in the 1890’s. This provided a place for public meetings and served as headquarters for the Brandon Fire Department. The original hall was 24 ft. wide by 60 ft. long and had 22 foot high walls. The current hall was built in 1934 through the Works Progress Administration and was 46.5 ft. by 143 ft. with a 20 ft. high ceiling and partial basement. This building is listed in the National Register of Historic Places and represents some of the most creative WPA era architecture in Minnesota.